Tuesday, January 16, 2007

How Fast Times Flies By







In about a month, I will turn thirty. What have I done in thirty years? It seems like such a long time and yet I feel like it wasn't too long ago that I was in kindergarten. I know that there is still a long time ahead of me. There are still so many things I want to do. The most important thing I want to do is be a great father for my son.

I got to thinking of how quickly time does fly by. It feels like just last week that Michele and I were at the hospital and our boy was on his way. It truly was the best day of my life when I saw my son come into this world. As a guy, it's hard to believe you are having a kid during the pregnancy period. We don't have the connection that women have. I think women have a parent-child connection very early on. For me personally, it didn't feel real until that moment when my son and I saw each other. In that moment, I knew he was mine and no one was fooling me. He was really here.

Griffin has grown up so fast. He is already three years old and being more and more like an adult. I took Griffin to the zoo a few months ago. We stopped by the Baboon exhibit and I told Griffin how funny the "monkey" looked. Griffin turn and gave me this serious look and said, " That's not a monkey. It's a Baboon!" I felt so proud that my son was so smart, but felt a bit ridiculous that a two year old-going on three, corrected me. It does scare me a bit that he is growing up so fast. I do look forward to being able to do more activities with my son. However,I already know how my parents felt like when we all left home.

My friend Ben has an adorable little six month old daughter named Hannah. Seeing Hannah makes me miss Griffin at that age. It also makes me want to pinch her. She's so cute! Hannah is learning lots of new things. Babies learn and grow so fast in the first year. Even though I experienced Griffin learning all the things Hannah is learning now, that whole process still amazes me and probably always will. I know that Ben and Julie will cherish all the memories of Hannah's childhood as I have with Griffin.

No comments: